Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hope, The Story of Pandora's Box

Hope. I heard once a story related to hope. It was said that long time ago, in a time of peace and prosperity, there was a woman so beautiful that there were no others who could be compared to her. Her name is Pandora. The gods held a celebration for her beauty one day and all of them bestowed upon her gifts of all sorts that would complement her and make her even more beautiful than ever. Some gave her stunning jewellery and others, cloths made from simple dawn and glorious sunset. One particular god gave her a box, a handsome box decorated with mother of pearl and jewels of all kind but she is not supposed to open it no matter what. Another goddess who is jealous of Pandora’s beauty blessed upon her the gift of curiosity. And as Pandora is curious as to what the box contained, she finds herself drawn to it, wondering what it could be inside. One day, she could not bear it anymore, she opened the box and unleashed upon our world all the evils that mankind now know. Hate, death, spite, malevolence and all the evils unimaginable. She was terrified and bowed her head down, tears streaming down her face repeating the words “What have I done?” However, there was another thing inside the box that crept out slowly that she had missed. It was hope. This story tells us that no matter what happens in our life. No matter how swift evil falls upon us, everything can be overcome if we have hope. No matter how slim the chance may be for happiness, as long as we have hope, the light will shines through us once again. When we believe in it. Hope works slowly. It does not work as fast as evil but it is stronger. And where it touches, it gives us back the will to live. And when we regain our will, our free will, there is nothing on earth that can stop us from having the life that we want to have. I was drowning in misery for so long and I have yearned for a glimpse of hope for years. I hope for release and freedom but it does not come easy. All my life I have felt imprisoned. Though I am not bound by physical chains, emotionally, I am not in such a good condition. However, now I know that these things come slow and that when it finally arrives, I will have it in abundance. So now, all I have to do is wait, be patient (something I need to learn) and never stop believing that my heavenly Father will one day bring me out of this situation. There are always brighter days ahead in Him right? =) I’ve found my little piece of hope in this vast world of ours, have you found yours?

No comments: